Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Million Smiles You Owe Me


The jewels behind these eyelids
duck into the shadows
as these eyes close to reminisced
the thousand moments they agonized.

A girl's heart reveals in the passion
of unprecedented love and warmth,
in the smiles of the face she loves.
Alas! you never knew that I lived for that.

The ignorant heart and innocent lips
of mine must have broken
into the brightest of the smiles
when piqued by your semblance.

The silence of your sentiment,
the barricade round your thoughts
could never drive the entranced mind
of mine to retreat from loving you.

Shutting down the path to you,
muting off the space between us,
turning off the fervor in the gazes invoked
the tears in my eyes but not the ebb you desired.

The ground for your hatred and wrath
lies forsaken amidst your triads
for I've grown to relive
the life of mine with grace unforeseen.

The humility I writhed in your hands,
the banter of yours I braved,
the care of yours I perceived
will be afresh for eternity in my conscience.

The distance you spawned,
the silence you vowed,
the darkness you inflicted
might estrange you and me.

But the poetry that once stole your heart,
the same lines which I once voiced
and won your acclamation
will haunt you for eternity.

For the smiles that erupted at your sight
and the tears that flowed at your denial
will go round in circles and
return to phantom you.

The repercussion of my innocent faith in you
will remind you everyday of
the thousand smiles you owe me and
the million tears you account for.

A day might come when
this girl whom you belittled
as an embarrassment and slime
will be the reason you feel proud.

A day you would miss these
eyes that shone twice as bright for you,
heart that beat a hundred times faster for you,
the girl who loved a like never before the only you.

A day when you would wish to trace back
your steps towards me again, but
by then, the time would have moved on
and the space between us would be infinite.

The path towards me would be invisible
and so would the smiles my lips poured,
and on that day there would be
a heart on its funeral pyre.

Who knows whose heart that would be,
whether the reluctant one yours
that had a belated epiphany,
or the crying, distanced one of mine?

There are a billion moments
for us to look out and see,
to reach out and search,
to live and relive for our love...

-  Harini Krishna

No comments:

Post a Comment